ADSM-L

Re: Interesting LTO fault's symptom

2003-06-16 10:23:13
Subject: Re: Interesting LTO fault's symptom
From: Tom Kauffman <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 09:22:40 -0500
Very Interesting.

I have a 10-drive  3584 library that came with 380 tapes about 22 months
ago. So far, two tapes have locked in drives (which seems to have been a
firmware issue corrected quite some time ago) and one of the tapes was
flawed enough that the drive would die while trying to label the tape.

No other errors in the 22 months. We haven't even clocked any usage on the
in-library cleaning tape.

I push about 1.2 TB of data into the library daily, copy about 1.0 TB for
off-site on a maximum 21-day rotation. Some of my tapes (SAP/Oracle) hit as
high as 517 GB before going full, while others (MS-Exchange) tend to fill at
101 GB (Oracle is mostly empty, the MS-Exchange db is pre-compressed).

My tapes are all 'IBM', actually OEM'd by Fuji as I understand.

Based on the above -- I'd suggest getting a couple of Fuji tapes and seeing
if you run into problems with them.

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc