ADSM-L

Re: TSM Performance OS/390

2003-06-12 08:40:04
Subject: Re: TSM Performance OS/390
From: Cinda Mullen <cmullen AT ASCENSIONHEALTH DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 07:39:40 -0500
William,

Being at the level of TSM you are at, could you be experiencing the
wonderful 'system objects' problem?  This is the level we were at when
it really bit us and we started experiencing the same slow downs you are
currently experiencing (we couldn't get through expiration in a day any
longer, reclamation couldn't stay caught up, DB growth, etc.).

Once we went to 4.2 and performed the cleanup backupgroups and actually
deleted all of our system objects and just started over on that
filespace, we have been able to rid ourselves of these issues.  But, the
total process of getting through everything took about 5 months.

1.  Since then, we have been able to reduce our 35 GB DB utilization
from 92% to 46%.  Our buffpoolsize is set to 212992 and we are running
really well right now.

2.  No experience with damage to DB.

3.  Ran an auditDB in development and cancelled it after 30 hours.  Not
feasible for the production environment.

Cinda Mullen
Ascension Health ISD