ADSM-L

Re: Problem with one AIX Client

2003-06-06 07:42:16
Subject: Re: Problem with one AIX Client
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 07:18:31 -0400
>I have a problem with one RS6000 Server, some days (nights) the backup
>job goes in failed, about 1 of 4 nights and the logs shows as below.
>Does some of you hav any idea why?
>
>The job is a simple incremental of files.
>2003-06-06 03:12:32 ANS1809W Session is lost...
>2003-06-06 03:28:17 ANS1017E Session rejected: TCP/IP connection failure

To emphasize an important aspect of dealing with session problems:
TSM is a client-server system.  When you have session problems, you
*must* look at the logged problem indications on *both* ends of the
session, not just the client.  The client is generally subservient to
the server, which is calling the shots, and can dismiss the session as
circumstances arise - such as preemption due to higher-priority tasks.
All you see in the client log is the indication that the session was
abruptly cut off.  Frankly, this is a programming shortcoming in the
product, which historically has failed to have the server communicate
to the client *why* the session is being cut off, so that the client
could log the reason, and so that customers would not have to hunt
for the cause.  One would think that after 5 versions of development
that this simple expedient would be in place; but not.

So: have a look in your server Activity Log for the times at issue,
and therein you should see the reason.  I have various of those ANS*
messages explained in http://people.bu.edu/rbs/ADSM.QuickFacts, as
experienced by the customer base, which may aid in the analysis.

  Good hunting,    Richard Sims, BU