ADSM-L

Re: OS/390 server and USS

2003-06-03 03:57:52
Subject: Re: OS/390 server and USS
From: John Naylor <john.naylor AT SCOTTISH-SOUTHERN.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 08:56:42 +0100
Thomas,

>My coworkers are still skeptical about the idea that the TSM server
>uses Unix System Services. Does anyone know for sure whether it does
>or not?

We are at os390 2.10
TSM definitely uses unix system services. I had a pmr at TSM 4.2.2 concerning
inability to restore backupsets made under daylight saving time during GMT and
vice versa.
It turned out that because we not setting the TZ (time zone) environment
variable in the TSM
started task, TSM was picking up the the default value from unix system services
eg.
the specification in your USS environment /etc/profile ((see Unix System
Services User's
Guide, section 4.9)  In our case this default value was not allowing for the
clock change.
Hope this helps
John

The information in this E-Mail is confidential and may be legally
privileged. It may not represent the views of Scottish and Southern
Energy plc.
It is intended solely for the addressees. Access to this E-Mail by
any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted
Any unauthorised recipient should advise the sender immediately of
the error in transmission.

Scottish Hydro-Electric, Southern Electric, SWALEC and S+S
are trading names of the Scottish and Southern Energy Group.