ADSM-L

Opinions anyone?

2003-05-31 10:42:50
Subject: Opinions anyone?
From: Leonard Lauria <Leonard AT UKY DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 10:39:26 -0400
You can respond direct to me instead of the list
if you wish.  Thanks!

We are considering an IBM P650, either 2 or 4-way
system as our replacement TSM server.  4 to 8 GBs
of memory and around 1 terabyte of disk (FastT700?)
for database, log and disk pools.

Our current config is a Sun E4500 with 4 400 MHz
processors, 2 GB of memory, and 500 GB of disk
(mostly on a shark).

Our TSM database is 60 GBs, we manage approx 130
million files and 70 terabytes of storage.  We move
500 GBs per 24 hour period, with most occuring during
the night-time hours.

My questions are these:  The new system would be much
faster with either 2 or 4 1.2 GHz (or faster) processors,
but fast processors doesn't seem to be a huge factor
at our site.  Are 2 enough?  Can TSM efficiently use
4 processors?  Any site of simular size running on
the above platform?

I appreciate any information you can provide.

Thanks

leonard