ADSM-L

Re: Clear text passwords. Was: Automating dsmserv

2003-05-27 16:49:42
Subject: Re: Clear text passwords. Was: Automating dsmserv
From: Justin Bleistein <justin.bleistein AT SUNGARD DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 16:46:28 -0400
I was just wondering if there was a capability from within TSM to provide
an alternative to this or maybe a third party TSM product that's all?
thanks!.

--Justin Richard Bleistein
Unix/TSM Systems Administrator (Sungard eSourcing)
Desk: (856) 566 - 3485
Cell:    (856) 912 - 0861
Email: justin.bleistein AT sungard DOT com

                      Thomas Denier
                      <Thomas.Denier@MA        To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      IL.TJU.EDU>              cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:  Re: Clear text
passwords.  Was: Automating dsmserv
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      05/27/2003 04:21
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

> one solution:
>
> We created an admin account (ex. QUERY), that is granted no authority.
> Which means it can do queries, but can't change anything.
> For scripts that just do queries, we use that admin id and don't sweat
> whether it's hackable.
> Now in theory somebody could find out the password and SUBMIT A BIG QUERY
> that ties up your server,
> but really, so what....  not in my list of Worst Things to Worry About.

There is another potential issue with this approach. A user with no
authority can run query or select commands that report client file
names. One can readily imagine scenarios in which this capability
raises serious privacy concerns.