ADSM-L

Re: anyone using ATA disk systems

2003-05-27 15:42:17
Subject: Re: anyone using ATA disk systems
From: "Rushforth, Tim" <TRushforth AT WINNIPEG DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 14:41:46 -0500
We've been thinking about a huge disk pool also.  What we would probably do
is client backup to SCSI disk first then migrates to cheap disk or Tape.
What I really would like is to control which backups go to Tape or cheap
disk based on size.  (We get great throughput restoring large files from
Tape - not sure if it is worth keeping them on Disk - small file restores on
the other hand are killers on Tape.)

You can specify a maxsize parameter on a stgpool that a client will use but
this isn't used by subsequent migrations.  This works if I want my client
backing up to tape directly - but I don't want that - not enough tape
drives!

Is there anyway that this could be done? IE. Initially backup everything to
DISK - then basically control migration or Move Data based on size of files.

Or is this just whacky thinking?!

Thanks,

Tim Rushforth
City of Winnipeg