ADSM-L

When is a bug not a bug?

2003-05-23 10:55:30
Subject: When is a bug not a bug?
From: Matt Simpson <matt AT UKY DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 10:55:04 -0400
When it's a "known limitation", according to TSM support.

We have a problem with our TSM server occasionally deciding that an
ACSLS tape is "unavailable", requiring a TSM restart before the tape
can be used.  In my opinion, any problem (excuse me, "known
limitation") where a function stops working until the server is
restarted is a bug.  TSM support disagrees, as indicated in their
response to my PMR:

  My apologies if I gave you the wrong impression that this code is
  broke.  As mention above this is a known limitation with in the code.
  Since this is a limitation and the code is not broken I cannot open
  an APAR against it.
  .
  My recommendation is to open a DCR with marketing on this issue and
  they will be able to track that for you.

I still think a "limitation" that prevents normal operation of the
server is a bug.
--

Matt Simpson --  OS/390 Support
219 McVey Hall  -- (859) 257-2900 x300