ADSM-L

Re: TSM DB growing @1.5Gb /2 day ??

2003-05-20 09:24:21
Subject: Re: TSM DB growing @1.5Gb /2 day ??
From: Remco Post <r.post AT SARA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 15:23:57 +0200
On Tue, 20 May 2003 09:13:28 -0400
shekhar Dhotre <Shekhar.Dhotre AT LENDLEASEREI DOT COM> wrote:

> We are taking a look @ our policies .  Our Customers  don`t understand the
> difference between archive and backups in TSM  . According to them Archive
> =full backup   and regular backup is incremental backup    ,but  they
> don`t need archive everyday as long as they get what they ask from backups
> .
> I am trying to convince them that even though regular backups are
> incremental , we are  keeping versions of files so that we can restore
> your data at any given point . It will take some time  for them to
> understand TSM because they are coming from netbackup -  (full /
> differential and incremental ) vs TSM policies .
>
> Archives are causing DB to grow -for this week I have changed from Archive
> to Incremental - added some more disk space .
>
> Thanks all .

We apply brute force in preventing archiving by people who don't know what
they are doing, we don't define an archive copypool in the domain their
system is in....

For those peaple who do need archives, we make sure they know what they are
doing....

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post

SARA - Stichting Academisch Rekencentrum Amsterdam    http://www.sara.nl
High Performance Computing  Tel. +31 20 592 8008    Fax. +31 20 668 3167

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the computer
industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the computer industry
didn't even foresee that the century was going to end." -- Douglas Adams