ADSM-L

Re: TSM DB growing @1.5Gb /2 day ??

2003-05-20 09:16:56
Subject: Re: TSM DB growing @1.5Gb /2 day ??
From: shekhar Dhotre <Shekhar.Dhotre AT LENDLEASEREI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 09:13:28 -0400
We are taking a look @ our policies .  Our Customers  don`t understand the
difference between archive and backups in TSM  . According to them Archive
=full backup   and regular backup is incremental backup    ,but  they
don`t need archive everyday as long as they get what they ask from backups
.
I am trying to convince them that even though regular backups are
incremental , we are  keeping versions of files so that we can restore
your data at any given point . It will take some time  for them to
understand TSM because they are coming from netbackup -  (full /
differential and incremental ) vs TSM policies .

Archives are causing DB to grow -for this week I have changed from Archive
to Incremental - added some more disk space .

Thanks all .

"Shamim, Rizwan (IDS EMEA)" <ShamiRiz AT EXCHANGE.UK.ML DOT COM>
05/19/2003 10:19 AM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: TSM DB growing @1.5Gb /2 day ??

Your archiving process is causing your DB to grow.  We have a requirement
(7
year retention).

The databases on 3 of our TSM servers are between 185-140GB.  We now run
monthly incrementals - it satisfies our requirements and it works for us.

    Rizwan Shamim
    Central Backup Service (CBS)
    Merrill Lynch Europe PLC
    Tel: 020 7995 1176