ADSM-L

Re: TSM DB growing @1.5Gb /2 day ??

2003-05-19 10:58:25
Subject: Re: TSM DB growing @1.5Gb /2 day ??
From: "Adam J. Boyer" <Adam.J.Boyer AT FRB DOT GOV>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 10:57:10 -0400
I have encountered this kind of growth before when a large new file system
(millions of files) is introduced, or  mounted at a different mount point.
As for unload/reload, there are differences of opinion here.

I think its usefulness varies per environment.  I did a test unload/reload
of our prod. database and it went from 73 GB to 32 GB.  (On a 2 x
UltraSPARC II with 1 GB of RAM, it took one day for the unload and two for
the reload.  )  The dramatic reduction in size leads me to believe that TSM
doesn't properly release used blocks, or doesn't reuse them efficiently.

adam

                      shekhar Dhotre
                      <Shekhar.Dhotre@LENDLE         To:      ADSM-L AT
VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                      ASEREI.COM>                    cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM: Dist           Subject: TSM DB growing
@1.5Gb /2 day ??
                      Stor Manager"
                      <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>

                      05/19/2003 10:06 AM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

Hi all ,

On one of our   TSM  server(Sydney)  database is growing  1.5 GB in 2
days???  (AS per AP-TSM admin).   What could be the reasons? He is saying
that it is happening because  of  archive operations  and  unload /reload
will solve problem  . I am going through TSM manuals to find out root
cuase, meanwhile any thoughts on how to resolve this problem. DB size is
160GB (aprox) .

His comments :
>1) AP(Asia Pacific)  TSM: TSM db @ 99% utilsation - extended database by
1.5Gb (very last space) -This will buy us 1-2 days by which we need to get
more disk in place.

Thanks
SD
Atlanta ,GA.