ADSM-L

Re: TSM DB growing @1.5Gb /2 day ??

2003-05-19 10:28:57
Subject: Re: TSM DB growing @1.5Gb /2 day ??
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 10:26:36 -0400
>On one of our   TSM  server(Sydney)  database is growing  1.5 GB in 2
>days???  (AS per AP-TSM admin).   What could be the reasons?

Files...lots of them.  That TSM admin can look in the Activity Log to see
ANE* messages telling of clients sending LOTS of files, and can do
Query Content on newly written tapes to list the files which arrived.
That site seems to lack controls to assure reasonable utilizations.

>He is saying ... unload /reload will solve problem...

Of a 160 GB database???  Can that TSM server be out of service for a
week while that happens...with database jeopardy in the mix?  Not the
best idea.  Remember: it's a database, not a sequential file.  Space
in it is used randomly, and doesn't go to waste.

The real solution is to regain control.  Find out what went in, if it's
of real value to the company, and get rid of it if not.  Review site
retention policies to see if files are being retained in TSM longer
than they need be, which is occupying valuable db space.

  Richard Sims, BU