ADSM-L

Re: backspace in Linux dsmadmc

2003-05-15 17:03:49
Subject: Re: backspace in Linux dsmadmc
From: Remco Post <r.post AT SARA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 23:02:47 +0200
On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 04:08:28PM -0400, Richard Sims wrote:

> Remco - Your Unix 'stty' settings are probably at the root of this.
>         Do 'stty -a' or the equivalent and check your "erase" spec.

Which is intresting. Both on console and in xterm erase is ^?. I suspect
this is some sort of bug somewhere in some Linux thingy that has to do
with X, rather than something to do with dsmadmc. Now I was hoping for
somebody tot tell me that he/she tested this on eg. RedHat and found
that things do work over there, or not.

I assume that dsmadmc does part of it's terminal handling itself rather
than leaving that to the os. Erase (backspace) does work as expected in
X when I enter my username/password, it breaks once I'm on the TSM
prompt...

> Different flavors of Unix do this stuff differently, so check your man page.
> (This stuff is 1970s and very ugly.)  Doing 'stty ek' or 'stty sane' may fix
> for you.  That which is called the Backspace key on keyboards may actually
> be generating a Delete - and to further confuse things, may be mapped to
> something else.

Which is why I told you all about my x-keymapping etc...

--

Remco