ADSM-L

Re: Inhibit Backups

2003-05-15 09:24:43
Subject: Re: Inhibit Backups
From: Nicholas Cassimatis <nickpc AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 09:24:13 -0400
What about utilizing the subfile backup function in TSM?  It was designed
to minimize the amount of data traffic over narrow-band connections, which
is what you're dealing with.

Nick Cassimatis
nickpc AT us.ibm DOT com

Think twice, type once.

                      Douglas Currell
                      <dlcurrell@yahoo.        To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      com>                     cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:  Inhibit Backups
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      05/13/2003 11:41
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

I posted this a question similar to this one recently,
but thequestion has since been redefined. My
organization has four main sites, each with its own
autonomous TSM server. On several occasions, a user
who is based in site A has gone to site B and
initiated a 2 GB backup over the WAN. We do not have
the bandwidth in the daytime to allow this operation
and a port on the router has the router has since been
blocked, effectively halting all remote
backups/restores. Is there another way to accomplish
this without blocking the port? Purchasing more
bandwidth, storage equipment or paying for inter
server communication are the constraints. thank you.