ADSM-L

Re: new TSM Client Pricing

2003-05-14 11:10:57
Subject: Re: new TSM Client Pricing
From: "Kelly J. Lipp" <lipp AT STORSOL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 09:09:50 -0600
And I'll weigh in here just because and you all should be aware that I have
not read all the replies to this thread.

This is particularly deplorable since the licensing tools within TSM don't
offer the ability to track the licenses the way they are sold.  Nor do the
clients have the ability to determine how many CPUs the server they are
running on have (whew, was that a stupid sentence).  So the whole thing is
whacked and invites corruption: reg lic until the stupid thing stops telling
you "not in compliance with license".

The fact that so many of us are railing at this suggests that something
should be done.  I was in a meeting with some IBM guys and someone said that
90% of the deals they were working on required special pricing.  Clearly if
90% require an exception, the rule is just flat wrong.

Come on guys.  I understand that the rest of IBM software is based on a per
CPU model, but this product is different or should be.

Kelly J. Lipp
CFO/VP Engineering
STORServer, Inc.
485-B Elkton Drive