ADSM-L

Re: Upgrading 3590 tape drives

2003-05-13 08:21:51
Subject: Re: Upgrading 3590 tape drives
From: David E Ehresman <deehre01 AT LOUISVILLE DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 08:19:58 -0400
The existing FILLING tapes will have to be marked READONLY because the
upgraded drives will only WRITE in the new denser mode, thus they cannot
append to existing filling tapes.  They will automatically write new
tapes at the new density and read tapes at either density.

David

>>> fminns AT WILEY.CO DOT UK 05/13/03 05:25AM >>>
Hello all TSMers

Been a while since I posted here, I trust everyone is well.

OK, I'm running TSM 4.2.2.12 on Solaris 2.8 attached to an IBM 3494a
library containing two 3590 drives (model B1A - up to 20GB native
capacity
at 9Mb/Sec).

We are beginning to run low on tape slots in the library an I'm
thinking
it's about time to expand. The two options open to me are either a)
upgrade
the drives, or b) add a new frame to the library. I'm thinking that
probably upgrading the drives will be the best option as I'll be
getting
something of a performance upgrade to boot.

So, my question is simple (at least, in my mind it is).

What things should I be aware of from a TSM point-of-view regarding
tape
drive upgrades?

Lets say I upgrade from the B1A model to the E1A model giving me the
possibility of doubling the available capacity of the tape drives, do
need to remove and redefine the drives to TSM?

I'm already thinking that after such an upgrade, it would be a good
idea to
mark all the present TAPEPOOL volumes read-only and then, at my
leisure,
run move data commands on old volumes to start using new scratch
volumes,
but at a higher compression, thus starting to free up more scratch
tapes.

But, is there anything else I need to be aware of here? Any other
pitfalls
that I may slip into if I'm not careful?

If anyone out there has done this kind of an upgrade, then I'd be very
interested in any helpful tips they may have.

Many thanks

All the best

Farren Minns - John Wiley & Sons Ltd

This email transmission is confidential and intended for the person or
organisation it is addressed to. If you are not the intended recipient,
you
must not copy, distribute, or disseminate the information, open any
attachment, or take any action in reliance of it. If you have received
this
message in error please notify the sender.

sender,
except where the sender specifically states otherwise.

Although this email has been scanned for viruses you should rely on
your
own virus check, as the sender takes no responsibility for any damage
arising out of any bug or virus infection.