ADSM-L

Re: SUN F6800's

2003-05-06 14:28:47
Subject: Re: SUN F6800's
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 13:28:19 -0500
From: Scott Walters [mailto:scott_walters AT MACKTRUCKS DOT COM]
> 6TB day.  yikes.  my calculations give me a sustained transfer of
> 72.82Megabytes per second for 24 hours, to do that.  That's
> assuming you
> have 24 hours to do the 6TB.
>
> Like you were saying, the bottleneck for this large an environment is
> probably going to be network capacity into the server, or output
> capacity to your tape drives.  I couldn't even guestimate the
> impact of
> TSM processing CPU/RAM wise on a setup this large.  Many small files
> will definitely hurt, but if 4 of the TB are just Oracle
> dumps, TSM screams.

Scalability is much easier to handle if you think in terms of several
smaller TSM servers.

Sharing a library in such an arrangment is possible, but in a large
environment, tape drive throughput becomes an issue. Consider a separate
library for each TSM server, or possible a large disk farm for a primary
pool and a shared library for the offsite storage pool. (Hi, Scott!)

--
Mark Stapleton (mark.stapleton AT berbee DOT com)
Berbee Information Networks