ADSM-L

Re: SUN F6800's

2003-05-06 11:19:41
Subject: Re: SUN F6800's
From: "Cowperthwaite, Eric" <eric.cowperthwaite AT EDS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 11:18:55 -0400
If I were setting this up I would probably buy several V880's instead of an
F6800. I would then divide my load up in among them in such a way that I
could reasonably achieve my backup requirements on 2 GigE NIC's and 2 FC-2
HBA's. On top of that I would make sure that, initially, my database size
per server would be no more than 35 GB, leaving me some reasonable room for
growth. You won't need more than 4 CPU's per box that way. You can have up
to 875 GB of raw FC-AL disk internal to V880, and multipath it, at that.
This would give you a lot of room for your database and disk pools on the
internal disk, freeing up your more costly HDS storage for other tasks.

The F6800 costs you a premium and you will, if you have a single domain on
the box, which seems unlikely for this backup scenario, only get 28 total
PCI slots. When you take some away for boot disk connectivity, basic SAN
connectivity and basic network connectivity you will be left with only about
10 66 MHz PCI slots. With the V880 you are looking at having 9 PCI slots
immediately available that have nothing in them since your boot disk and
basic network connectivity are available on the system board. The V880 comes
with the same Sun Fireplane interconnect as the SunFire class servers,
including the F6800.

Eric W. Cowperthwaite
EDS Operations Solutions
California Medicaid (Medi-Cal)