ADSM-L

Storage Agent config

2003-05-05 14:06:44
Subject: Storage Agent config
From: Todd Lundstedt <Todd_Lundstedt AT VIA-CHRISTI DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 13:05:52 -0500
Server: TSM Server 4.2.1.7 running on AIX
Client: TSM Storage Agent 4.2.1.7, B/A Client 4.2.1.15, TDP Domino 1.1.2.0
running on WinNT 4.0

I have a working node with Domino running.  Backups from the B/A client are
fine using the LAN (EnableLANFree is not set).  Domino backups across the
SAN *were* working fine (EnableLANFree in domino\dsm.opt is set to YES).
The NodeName values in the B/A Client's dsm.opt and the TDP's dsm.opt were
set to the same value (nt-dco-mail).  I have read this is a dangerous thing
to do, so I decided to change it.  I was making some other changes at the
same time (implementing new domains, storage pools, management classes,
etc., to try to manage the data storage differently).

The changes went well.  The TDP's dsm.opt is now valued at
"nt-dco-mail_dom" and that node is registered to TSM in a different domain.
The MAIL.DOMDBS and MAIL.DOMLOGS filespaces are connected to that new node
name.  The B/A client filespaces are still connected to "nt-dco-mail" in
the original domain.  What I can't get functioning is the LANFree part.
The "Other Server" was originally configured as...
Server Name -- nt-dco-mail
Host Name or TCP/IP Address -- nt-dco-mail (and that resolves to the
machines IP address)
TCP/IP port number -- 1500
Cross-Define -- No
(and because cross-define=no, the rest of the fields were left blank).

When I use dsmsta.exe from the command line, I can see the three drives
defined in Drive Mappings, but TDP won't use the SAN for data transfer
(dsmsta doesn't show any sessions starting when TDP is mounting a tape).  I
have tried different combinations of Other Server definitions using
"nt-dco-mail_dom" and ran the Storage agent  setup wizard several times
using different values, but I can't seem to get anything to work other than
the original settings.  What I haven't done is used the Add New Storage
Agent wizard, since I am not exactly sure how to remove that service once
it is setup and installed.

Any cheat sheets out there?  Any Storage Agent gurus?  I couldn't find any
PDFs on IBM's Redbook site that even talked about installation... just high
level concepts and overview.
Thanks in advance.

Todd L.