ADSM-L

Numerous small virtual volumes

2003-05-05 13:32:05
Subject: Numerous small virtual volumes
From: "Nancy R. Brizuela" <Brizuela AT UWYO DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 11:31:33 -0600
Hello,

We are attempting to set up a second server on the same machine as our
main server, then share primary storage pools between our main server
and the second server using virtual volumes.  We  want to send client
backup data to two storage pools--one pool to store directory
information and one pool to store the rest of the backup data.

When we attempt a client backup through second server sending virtual
volumes to the main server, we are creating numerous, tiny virtual
volumes.  It appears that it starts backing up, hits a directory,
creates a volume, backs up the directory, hits some data, creates
another volume, hits another directory and creates another volume, hits
more data and creates another volume and so on.  I have read on the ADSM
list that TSM marks the virtual volume as "full" as soon as it is
created so it closes immediately after being written to.  I have tried
marking the "keep mount point" to yes on the server node/main server and
increasing the" "mount retention time" on the device class but this does
not seem to help.

Has anyone had any experience with this and found a solution?

Thanks!

Nancy Brizuela
University of Wyoming
IBM Systems Group