ADSM-L

Re: Please help LIBRARY IS DOWN.ACSLS issue.

2003-05-02 11:54:21
Subject: Re: Please help LIBRARY IS DOWN.ACSLS issue.
From: "Schmitt, Terry D" <SchmiTD AT LOUISVILLE.STORTEK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 09:53:23 -0600
>From strictly an ACSLS point of view.  ACSLS uses RPC fro communications
between the CSI (server side) and the SSI (client side).  To trouble shoot
ACSLS communications on the ACSLS server there are several tools available.

Q:   What tools are readily available for network troubleshooting?

A:   There are diagnostic utilities which can exercise the control
     path between two hosts, providing the ability to isolate
     problems to a specific OSI layer.  These include the following:

ping    This is a unix command which resides at the network layer.  A
        successful ping across two systems verifies the Network, Data
        Link and Physical layers.  The syntax for ping is

                ping hostname

        where hostname is the name of the client or host machine.  A
        'self-ping' (where the hostname is the name of the machine from
        which the ping command is invoked) exercises only the network
        layer on that machine.  No hardware is exercised with a self-
        ping.

        If a self-ping fails, check to see that the hosts file, /etc/hosts
        is properly configured and that the network software is up and
        running:
                ifconfig le0

rpcinfo:
        This is a unix command which exercises the Transport layer.
        It can verify the top two layers on a single system by checking
        to see whether the application has registered a port.

        On an acsls machine, you can verify whether the csi has regisered
        its port numbers with the following command:

                rpcinfo -p

        Look for the following program numbers in the first column:

           program vers proto   port    srvce   user
         536871166    1   udp   1175    -       200
            300031    1   udp   1178    -       200
         536871166    2   tcp   4354    -       200
            300031    2   tcp   4355    -       200

                These numbers are exclusively used for the acsls csi. Note
        that verson 2 is for tcp, which is the standard protocol
        used in our acsls application.

        Finding these numbers in the RPC listing indicate the csi
        has registered itself to the transport-layer RPC service.

        By running rpcinfo across two systems, you can exercise
        all of the layers from the transport layer of the client system
        to that of the server.  From the client system, enter

                rpcinfo 'hostname'

        where hostname is the name of the server machine.

        You can actually touch the application layer on the server
        with rpcinfo.  From the client platform, enter the following:

                rpcinfo -t 'hostname' 300031 2

        where 'hostname' is the name of the platform on which acsls is
        installed and running.  A successful response will be

                program 300031 version 2 ready and waiting

        This exercises the Transport, Network, Data Link, and Physical
        layers on both systems, and it verifies that the acsls application
        (the csi) has been initialized successfully.  This exchange happened
        from the client platform at the transport layer (RPC), to the server
        platform at the application layer (csi) and back.

        If this exchange fails, yet the csi is registered with the port
        mapper, it is possible that the csi is not functional.  To verify
        this, you can re-initialize the csi, causing it to re-register with

        the portmapper.  It is useful to observe the event log when this
        happens.  Kill the csi.  The acsss_daemon will restart it.  The
        event log will reflect the following activity:

           csi shutdown
           ss main restart of csi
           RPC registration of previously unmapped service (4 times).
           (The old instances are purged and the new numbers are
registered).
           csi initiation complete

telnet

        Telnet is a tool you can use to test TCP across two systems.  With
        ACSLS, the csi-ssi RPC packets ride on top of TCP packets, so if
        TCP is not functional, our RPC exchanges will not happen.  Using
        telnet, you can open a session between client and server machnine.
        If telnet works, this verifies that TCP is working.

tip     This utility tests the ip layer across two machines.

test net   This is a prom-level command on the SPARC-5 which exercises
        the Data-Link and Physical layers.  It performs an internal
        loop-back of the controller chip (Data Link layer) and an
        external loop-back of the cabeling (Physical layer).  For the
        external loop-back to pass, the system must be connected to
        an Ethernet tap or hub.

        If the internal loop-back test fails, the fault is with the
        controller chip, which requires a motherboard replacement on
        the SPARC-5.

        If the external loop-back test fails, check the cabeling and
        connectors from the SPARC-5 to the network backbone.

Terry D. Schmitt
Software Engineer, Sr.
ACSLS Change Team
303.661.5874 phone