ADSM-L

Backup to disk and NDMP Support for Netapp filer

2003-05-01 18:35:19
Subject: Backup to disk and NDMP Support for Netapp filer
From: Dave Cannon <dcannon AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 15:36:26 -0700
>We are planing to move our TSM Server from OS/390 to Windows2000.
>(CPU Costs, old Tapelibrary 3590B, less functionality for TSM on MVS,...)

>Also one reason is to improve the backuphandling of our 3TByte Netapp
Filer.
>And of course i belong to that people, who think that tapes become out of
>fashion and
>i plan buying cheap ide Storage for Primary and copy Pool. (about 12 TB)

>Since TSM supports NDMP on Windows2000 everything seems fine, but i
couldn't
>find any examples at IBM
>for an NDMP setup with diskpool as target.

>Isn't that possible? Is it planned?

NDMP is specifically intended for backup to tape devices.  The NDMP support
in TSM works only with tape drives as the backup target, and there is no
plan at this time to extend NDMP support to disk.

Dave Cannon
Tivoli Storage Software Development
Tivoli Storage Products, IBM Software Group
dcannon AT us.ibm DOT com