ADSM-L

Re: Will Hard Drives Edge Out Tape Drives?

2003-04-25 17:14:05
Subject: Re: Will Hard Drives Edge Out Tape Drives?
From: "Miller, Ryan" <Miller.Ryan AT PRINCIPAL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 16:13:33 -0500
Sorry, I should have called it Simultaneous Write feature, here is the info
from the Admin Guide....

Simultaneous Write to a Primary Storage Pool and Copy Storage Pools
To simultaneously write data to a primary storage pool and one or more copy
storage pools, you can specify a list of copy storage pools in a primary
storage pool definition using the COPYSTGPOOLS parameter. When a client backs
up, archives, or migrates a file, the file is written to the primary storage
pool and is simultaneously stored into each copy storage pool. If a write
failure occurs for any of the copy storage pools, the COPYCONTINUE parameter
setting determines how the server should react. See Table 12 for additional
information about storage pool definitions.

When using copy storage pools for the simultaneous write of data to a primary
storage pool and associated copy storage pools, be sure that all resources,
such as enough drives, are available for the write operation. For example, each
simultaneous write operation will need all of the volumes to be simultaneously
mounted. This requires that the number of available drives must be equal to or
greater than the number of volumes to be simultaneously mounted. For additional
information, see Mount Limit and the REGISTER NODE command in the
Administrator's Reference for information about the MAXNUMMP parameter.

Note:
When defining copy storage pools to primary pools that have defined next pools,
the copy pool list for each primary pool should be the same. Defining different
copy pool lists can cause resources to be freed when using the next pool. If
the resources are freed, it can delay the completion of client operations.