ADSM-L

How do drives "initialize"?

2003-04-24 10:53:26
Subject: How do drives "initialize"?
From: "Jason A. Specland" <jas2005 AT MED.CORNELL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 10:45:49 -0400
For several weeks now, the drive that I've defined as DRIVE6 has not
been working.  When I start up TSM, I get the following message:

04/23/03   18:04:40  ANR8470W Initialization failure on drive DRIVE6 in
library
                      LIB1.

Now, I can already hear you all saying, "Check your hardware!"  But I
did.  With the vendor (the library is a Spectralogic Gator) I've
checked and replaced just about everything from the scsi card on the
AIX box to the tape drive itself, and the problem still persists.  I
can, for example, tar a file from the AIX box to the drive in question
without issues, but TSM won't use it.

Now, I certainly don't expect y'all to diagnose my non-IBM hardware
issues for me, but I was just wondering if anyone knows exactly what
it's doing when it "initializes" a drive, and how I can specifically
see what the failure is, so I can help my currently stumped hardware
vendor.

--
Jason A. Specland
Unix Administrator