ADSM-L

Capacity Model

2003-04-23 20:16:55
Subject: Capacity Model
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 10:16:30 +1000
G'day TSMers

Here at Queensland Health, we are attempting to move from a per-application
view of the world to a shared datacentre infrastructure view.  We've had a few
sucesses and now have lots of new applications and technology refreshes coming
which need to fit into this infrastructure with TSM as the backup portion.

So I'm often being asked to size the backup portions of applications, and in
particular will I need extra sections on the the 3494, more disk space for disk
pools, more tape drives and so on.

I'd like to develop some sort of model for the TSM environment so that I can
plug that sort of information into the model and come out with a reasonably
reliable result without too much effort for each new query.

I realize that this is a non trivial task, but does anyone on the list have
some rules of thumb, or bits of such a beast that they could share?

I'll start off -

I size incremental backups with a 1% change rate unless I know it to be
otherwise.  This seems to fit well in this environment.  Obviously database
backups take  their size (compressed) * frequency * retention period

I get about 66% average tape utilization with reclaim set to 80.

Thanks

Steve

This e-mail, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential
and for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). This confidentiality
is not waived or lost if you receive it and you are not the intended
recipient(s), or if it is transmitted/ received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review
of this e-mail is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of
confidentiality if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this
e-mail in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by
telephone or by return e-mail.  You should also delete this e-mail
message and destroy any hard copies produced.