ADSM-L

Re: anyone using ATA disk systems

2003-04-23 17:30:40
Subject: Re: anyone using ATA disk systems
From: Patrick Boutilier <boutilpj AT STAFF.EDNET.NS DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 18:30:07 -0300
We have been using 3 1TB IDE RAID-5 arrays using 8 port 3ware cards for
almost 2 years as our primary backup pool. We use tape only for copy pools.

We have just added a 2 TB array using a 12 port 3ware card with 12
Western Digital 200 G drives.

We backup about 20 clients to each RAID array.

MC Matt Cooper (2838) wrote:
Hello all,
I am doing some what if research and I keep hearing that relatively cheap
ATA disk systems are RAID-5 and a good alternative to a local tape copy.   I
was wondering if anyone has done this or can give truly educated comment on
it.   I don't know if it would be a good fit for streaming 20 backups at so
it may be better as a second level disk pool.   Please share your knowledge
of this area...
Matt