ADSM-L

Re: Restoring UNIX filesystems

2003-04-23 13:54:17
Subject: Re: Restoring UNIX filesystems
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 12:48:49 -0500
From: Justin Bleistein [mailto:justin.bleistein AT SUNGARD DOT COM]
> that is true you can restore one unix server to another. It's not the
> different type of operating systems that restrict this it's
> the different
> type of filesystems. The filesystems are so different between
> Windows/dos and Unix it just won't work. thanks!.

This comment was obviously not made by someone who has tried to restore
a Solaris filesystem to AIX, or a Linux ext3 filesystem to HP-UX.

My experience has been that you've got stay with the same OS, and, in a
few cases, not too much difference between the versions of said OS. (You
can't restore a Windows' FAT filesystem to an NTFS-formatted box.)

--
Mark Stapleton (mark.stapleton AT berbee DOT com)
Berbee Information Networks