ADSM-L

Re: TSM on Windows or AIX

2003-04-23 11:36:40
Subject: Re: TSM on Windows or AIX
From: "Wilcox, Andy" <andy.wilcox AT AQUILA-NETWORKS.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 16:31:15 +0100
I have been in similar situations trying to compare AIX against NT and have
always found that the difference in cost isn't always that different. Past
experience has normally shown that when people put a config for NT together
they never take a good look at I/O or redundancy options thus providing a
very cheap and cheerful solution against say an AIX server configured for
optimum performance and redundancy.

If you consider the cost of a given storage array with adapters, suitable
for supporting TSM, along with your tape medium and adapters, which should
be the same cost for both NT and AIX, the only difference in cost then is
the server hardware itself. If you then put like for like (performance and
capability wise) AIX and NT servers together, the difference in cost is very
negligible. Admittedly the AIX machine will be the marginally more expensive
of the two, but you need to consider that the additional expenditure is
worth the advantages of the scalability, reliability... etc.. etc..

Cheers

Andy Wilcox
Midrange Services
Aquila Networks Services Ltd