ADSM-L

Can't seem to get copygroup freq= to work

2003-04-23 09:27:47
Subject: Can't seem to get copygroup freq= to work
From: Bill Kelly <kellywh AT MAIL.AUBURN DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 08:27:16 -0500
Hi,

I'm having trouble getting the frequency setting in a backup copygroup to
work.  I'm trying to set things up so that a Windows XP client's system
object is only backed up once per week.  So far, it doesn't appear I've
done any good, as the system object on this client keeps getting backed up
during each night's incremental backup.  Here's what I've got:

Client - TSM 5.1.5.15 running on Windows XP Professional, SP 1
Server - TSM 5.1.6.2 running on z/OS 1.2

The server has a client option set that includes the following:

         Option: INCLEXCL
Sequence number: 0
       Override: Yes
   Option Value: INCLUDE.SYSTEMOBJECT ALL ONCEPERWEEK

...and the client node definition specifies the above-mentioned option
set.  This part I'm fairly confident of, mainly because I can see the
following message in the activity log during expiration processing:

ANR4391I Expiration processing node KELLYWH, filespace
 SYSTEM OBJECT, fsId 2, domain AU, and management class
 ONCEPERWEEK - for BACKUP type files.

So far, so good (I think).  Now here's the definition of mgt class
ONCEPERWEEK:

            Policy Domain Name: AU
               Policy Set Name: ACTIVE
               Mgmt Class Name: ONCEPERWEEK
          Default Mgmt Class ?: No
    Space Management Technique: None
       Auto-Migrate on Non-Use: 0
    Migration Requires Backup?: Yes
         Migration Destination: SPACEMGPOOL
Last Update by (administrator): BATCH
         Last Update Date/Time: 04/10/2003 10:34:29
              Managing profile:

And here's the copygroup:

            Policy Domain Name: AU
               Policy Set Name: ACTIVE
               Mgmt Class Name: ONCEPERWEEK
               Copy Group Name: STANDARD
               Copy Group Type: Backup
          Versions Data Exists: 4
         Versions Data Deleted: 2
         Retain Extra Versions: 28
           Retain Only Version: 28
                     Copy Mode: Modified
            Copy Serialization: Shared Static
                Copy Frequency: 6
              Copy Destination: BACKUPPOOL
Last Update by (administrator): BATCH
         Last Update Date/Time: 04/10/2003 10:43:32
              Managing profile:

I see in the documentation that the frequency value is used only during a
full incremental backup, and is ignored during selective backup and
partial incremental backup.  But since these nightly backups are running
as the result of a schedule whose action is 'incremental', I don't think
this is my problem.

I've been running this way for about a week now, and each night in the
client's scheduler log I see messages reporting the successful incremental
backup of 'Event Log', 'System and Boot Files', etc.  Querying the system
object filespace on the server shows its last backup date/time changing
each night as well.

I know I'm missing something, though I can't figure what!  Can anyone
point out what it is?

Thanks very much,
Bill

Bill Kelly