ADSM-L

Re: Restores--multiple threads vs. collocated

2003-04-18 16:03:15
Subject: Re: Restores--multiple threads vs. collocated
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 15:02:51 -0500
From: Nancy R. Brizuela [mailto:Brizuela AT UWYO DOT EDU]
> We are considering the pros and cons of using collocation at
> our site. Has anyone done any experiments with restoring
> using collocation (with a single thread using one tape drive)
> vs. restoring using multiple threads, (multiple tape drives,
> no collocation)?  We are using 3590 tapes with a capacity of
> 40 gb's, so most of our machines would have their backup data
> on one or, at most two tapes, if we collocated.  So, if we
> collocated, we would usually not be able to use multiple
> threads. It seems like we might actually have faster restores
> by not collocating, therefore have data on multiple tapes,
> thus be able to restore using multiple threads.  Anyone have
> any advice, results from experiments, thoughts on this?

Strong empirical evidence from the dozens of threads this mailing list
has seen on this subject indicates that collocated data restores much
faster than non-collocated data, particularly in the cases of Windows
and Netware clients.

--
Mark Stapleton (mark.stapleton AT berbee DOT com)
Berbee Information Networks