ADSM-L

Restores--multiple threads vs. collocated

2003-04-18 12:18:36
Subject: Restores--multiple threads vs. collocated
From: "Nancy R. Brizuela" <Brizuela AT UWYO DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 10:18:08 -0600
Hello All,

We are considering the pros and cons of using collocation at our site.
Has anyone done any experiments with restoring using collocation (with a
single thread using one tape drive) vs. restoring using multiple
threads, (multiple tape drives, no collocation)?  We are using 3590
tapes with a capacity of 40 gb's, so most of our machines would have
their backup data on one or, at most two tapes, if we collocated.  So,
if we collocated, we would usually not be able to use multiple threads.
It seems like we might actually have faster restores by not collocating,
therefore have data on multiple tapes, thus be able to restore using
multiple threads.  Anyone have any advice, results from experiments,
thoughts on this?

Nancy Brizuela
University of Wyoming
IBM Systems Group