ADSM-L

Re: backupset

2003-04-15 15:58:36
Subject: Re: backupset
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 14:58:16 -0500
From: Joni Moyer [mailto:joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM]
> I have a situation, which this time I hope is an easy one.  I
> have several NT servers in a domain of approximately 100 NT
> servers that we are currently doing full backups for once a
> week.  This is adding a lot of extra work and processing time
> that I know is not needed.  The problem is that they want a
> full backup of all the files for each of the servers on a
> minimal number of tapes for disaster recovery. (So that they
> don't have to take 100's of tapes and also their restore
> times would be very slow and probably wouldn't get done in
> the allotted time)  I have thought about collocating the
> offsite pool, but this wouldn't make sense because we send
> the tapes offsite once a day, which would lead to many under
> utilized tapes and I would also need to run reclamation for
> that pool constantly.  I had thought to do collocation
> onsite, but that doesn't solve their problem either.
>
> Here is the question:  Would a backupset  be a solution to
> this problem? Then I wouldn't have to have approximately 1TB
> of extra data backed up on the weekend.  (Which is a very
> busy time for tsm as it is)

Here is another example of how the mysterious "they" want to stuff ten
pounds of sugar into a 5-pound bag.

If you don't have the tape and network resources to handle a full backup
of several boxes every week, consider the periodic use of MOVE NODEDATA
on the offsite storage pool for those important TSM clients. This option
removes the need for another pull of data from the client, and the
resultant use of bandwidth on the network. It will require the use of
two tape drives, but doesn't require checking in offsited tapes.

'Course, you've got have TSM server version 5.1.0.0+ in order to do it.

--
Mark Stapleton (mark.stapleton AT berbee DOT com)