ADSM-L

Re: Reclamation question

2003-04-15 11:19:10
Subject: Re: Reclamation question
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 11:17:59 -0400
> My experience with reclamation, shows that it is performed using the most
> reclaimable first (least used) and finishing with the least reclaimable
> (most used) - in that order...

Reclamation of onsite volumes behaves as described above. Reclamation of
offsite volumes works differently. TSM identifies all the offsite volumes
eligible for reclamation, figures out what files are on these volumes,
figures out where the corresponding onsite copies are, and sorts the
onsite copies by location. TSM then makes one pass over the volumes
containing the needed onsite copies of files. As far as I can tell, TSM
mounts the input volumes in volume serial number order, except when
files spanned across volumes force deviations from this policy.