ADSM-L

Re: DB restore to another server....

2003-04-14 03:10:24
Subject: Re: DB restore to another server....
From: Jozef Zatko <zatko AT LOGIN DOT SK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 09:09:59 +0200
One more thing.
If you want to restore your TSM db with following syntax:

dsmserv restore db

you have to have your log in roll-forwarded mode. If not, this command will
probably not work (see Admin ref. manual for TSM 4.x)

Regards

Ing. Jozef Zatko
Login a.s.
Dlha 2, Stupava
tel.: (421) (2) 60252618

                    "Prather, Wanda"
                    <Wanda.Prather@J        To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    HUAPL.EDU>              cc:
                    Sent by: "ADSM:         Subject:     Re: DB restore to
another server....
                    Dist Stor
                    Manager"
                    <[email protected]
                    T.EDU>

                    11.04.2003 21:29
                    Please respond
                    to "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

If I understand correctly that you are just trying to restore the TSM DB to
a new server, then I think the problem is your syntax.

"Dsmserv restore db dbvol=xxx"   says that you want TSM to restore just ONE
disk volume of a TSM data base that is made up of multiple disk volumes.
That command has some restrictions I have never delved into, and and I
don't
think is what you want to do, anyway.

Try this syntax:

Dsmserv restore db devclass=yyyyyyy  volumenames=nnnnnn  commit=yes

Where yyyyyyy is the device class for that tape drive, and nnnnnn is the
volser of the tape containing the last DB backup.

This should work, and doesn't rely on the devconfig or volhist file being
correct.

Since you copied the devconfig file, if the devclass is the same as for the
old tape drive, this syntax should also work:

Dsmserv restore db

With this syntax, TSM relies on the volhist and devconfig file.  TSm looks
in the volhist file to find the last good DB backup and the devclass it was
written to; it looks in the devconfig file to find the devices, and issues
the appropriate tape mount.   You can even manually doctor the devconfig
and/or volhist file to make this work.

Hope that helps...