ADSM-L

Re: Rational ClearCase Backups

2003-04-11 15:31:22
Subject: Re: Rational ClearCase Backups
From: "Magura, Curtis" <curtis.magura AT LMCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 15:30:42 -0400
We are aware of that possibility Kathleen but haven't tackled that problem
yet. In our case the VOB servers are running on Solaris machines with the
actual VOBS and VIEWS accessed via NFS on AIX file servers.

For proof of concept, and to validate the data that is backed up while the
lock is in place is valid, we are just issuing the lock on the Solaris side
via cron and scheduling the start of the backup on the file servers after
that has occurred. The unlock is scheduled a couple of hours after the
"normal" run time of the file server backup. Not elegant but the user
community has agreed to run like this for a few weeks to see what we all
learn.

Once we validate the integrity of the data with some test restores we will
be looking at some type of a scheduling tool, (Control-M) comes to mind,
that will schedule the lock, then run a backup, and once complete unlock the
VOB. The idea being to keep all three pieces in sync and controlled from a
single place.

Curt Magura
Lockheed Martin EIS
Orlando Fla.