ADSM-L

Netware client not completing backups

2003-04-11 10:43:16
Subject: Netware client not completing backups
From: Joseph Zellmer <Joseph_A_Zellmer AT EMAIL.WHIRLPOOL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 10:27:36 -0400
Hello all,

      Two TSM 4.2.3.3  servers running on AIX 5.1.  Backing up a Netware
client on server A (Netstore C00)  works fine.  Want to move the client
over to sever B(Netstore C01) but in a 12 hour period I can only seem to
back up about 25gig and am still missing most of the data. We end up
cancelling the backups as that seems to adversely effect the Netware
performance during the day. From the activity log I can see idle time outs
on server B. As we can see from the information below server A has much
lower thresholds than server B yet sever be cannot seem to complete the
task. I have FTP'd a small file from the client to both of the TSM servers
and I see no significant differences so I do not suspect a network issue.
The only changes made to the clients options file is the name of the tsm
server. I have migrated all of my other netware boxes to server B and they
seem to be all happy campers.

Any suggestions would really help. From the research I have done I
understand the idle time needs to be higher to allow for searches of the
directory structures but since there is so much data to be backed up I am
confused as to why it would time out after 60 minutes.

Server A Settings
Server Option      Option Setting        Server Option      Option Setting

-----------------  --------------------  -----------------
--------------------
CommTimeOut        600                   IdleTimeOut        15

BufPoolSize        65536                 LogPoolSize        512

MessageFormat      1                     Language           AMENG

MaxSessions        200                   ExpInterval        0

ExpQuiet           No                    EventServerLoggi-  Yes

                                          ng

MirrorRead DB      Normal                MirrorRead LOG     Normal

MirrorWrite DB     Sequential            MirrorWrite LOG    Parallel

VolumeHistory      /usr/tivoli/tsm/ser-  VolumeHistory
/adsmlog/volhist2.f-
                    ver/bin/volhist.fi-                      ile

                    le

Devconfig          /usr/tivoli/tsm/ser-  TxnGroupMax        256

                    ver/bin/devconfg.f-

                    ile

MoveBatchSize      1000                  MoveSizeThresh     500

StatusMsgCnt       10                    RestoreInterval    1,440

UseLargeBuffers    Yes                   DisableScheds      No

NOBUFPREfetch      No                    AuditStorage       Yes

REQSYSauthoutfile  Yes                   SELFTUNEBUFpools-  Yes

                                          ize

SELFTUNETXNsize    No                    DBPAGEShadow       No

DBPAGESHADOWFile   dbpgshdw.bdt          QueryAuth          None

LogWarnFullPerCe-  90                    ThroughPutDataTh-  0

 nt                                       reshold

ThroughPutTimeTh-  0                     NOPREEMPT          ( No )

 reshold

Resource Timeout   60

TCPPort            1500                  HTTPPort           1580

TCPWindowsize      65536                 TCPBufsize         16384

TCPNoDelay         Yes                   CommMethod         TCPIP

CommMethod         ShMem                 CommMethod         HTTP

MsgInterval        1                     Enable3590Library  Yes

ShmPort            1510                  FileExit

UserExit                                 FileTextExit

AssistVCRRecovery  Yes                   AcsAccessId

AcsTimeoutX        1                     AcsLockDrive       No

AcsQuickInit       No                    SNMPSubagentPort   1521

SNMPSubagentHost   127.0.0.1             SNMPHeartBeatInt   5

TECHost                                  TECPort            0

SHAREDLIBIDLE      No

Server B Settings
Server Option      Option Setting        Server Option      Option Setting

-----------------  --------------------  -----------------
--------------------
CommTimeOut        3,600                 IdleTimeOut        60

BufPoolSize        131072                LogPoolSize        512

MessageFormat      1                     Language           AMENG

MaxSessions        300                   ExpInterval        0

ExpQuiet           No                    EventServerLoggi-  Yes

                                          ng

MirrorRead DB      Normal                MirrorRead LOG     Normal

MirrorWrite DB     Sequential            MirrorWrite LOG    Parallel

VolumeHistory      /usr/tivoli/tsm/ser-  VolumeHistory
/adsmlog/volhist2.f-
                    ver/bin/volhist.fi-                      ile

                    le

Devconfig          /usr/tivoli/tsm/ser-  TxnGroupMax        256

                    ver/bin/devconfg.f-

                    ile

MoveBatchSize      1000                  MoveSizeThresh     500

StatusMsgCnt       10                    RestoreInterval    1,440

UseLargeBuffers    Yes                   DisableScheds      No

NOBUFPREfetch      No                    AuditStorage       Yes

REQSYSauthoutfile  Yes                   SELFTUNEBUFpools-  No

                                          ize

SELFTUNETXNsize    Yes                   DBPAGEShadow       No

DBPAGESHADOWFile   dbpgshdw.bdt          QueryAuth          None

LogWarnFullPerCe-  90                    ThroughPutDataTh-  0

 nt                                       reshold

ThroughPutTimeTh-  0                     NOPREEMPT          ( No )

 reshold

Resource Timeout   60

TCPPort            1500                  HTTPPort           1580

TCPWindowsize      65536                 TCPBufsize         16384

TCPNoDelay         No                    CommMethod         TCPIP

CommMethod         ShMem                 CommMethod         HTTP

MsgInterval        1                     Enable3590Library  Yes

ShmPort            1510                  FileExit

UserExit                                 FileTextExit

AssistVCRRecovery  Yes                   AcsAccessId

AcsTimeoutX        1                     AcsLockDrive       No

AcsQuickInit       No                    SNMPSubagentPort   1521

SNMPSubagentHost   127.0.0.1             SNMPHeartBeatInt   5

TECHost            158.52.217.22         TECPort            1555

SHAREDLIBIDLE      No

Joseph A Zellmer
Senior Technical Analyst
2000 N-M63