ADSM-L

Re: Using TSM to move an SQL database

2003-04-10 15:21:55
Subject: Re: Using TSM to move an SQL database
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 15:23:05 -0400
Yes. Data Protection for SQL supports this.

You will need to connect to the TSM Server
using the same TSM NODENAME (DSM.OPT file).

If you have different physical disk layouts,
you will have to use the /RELOCATE and /TO options.

Also, be aware, if the database is large,
just after the DP for SQL restore gets started,
SQL Server will spend a lot of time preformatting
the physical database files... it may look like the
restore is hung after only restoring a small amount of data...
... but it is not hung, it is preformatting. You will need
to make sure the COMMTIMEOUT value on the TSM Server is set
high in order for the SQL Server preformatting to complete
before the database data is restored.

Thanks,

Del

Del Hoobler
IBM Corporation
hoobler AT us.ibm DOT com

- Remember that the best job security is
doing a job well and doing it cheerfully.