ADSM-L

Re: Help,

2003-04-10 10:47:17
Subject: Re: Help,
From: Jonathan Kaufman <jkaufman AT FOOTLOCKER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 09:46:21 -0500
Well, guess I stand (sit actually) corrected.  I was wondering if the
Ultrium Drive had it's own driver or if the IBM driver mentioned was Atape
actually...

Jonathan Kaufman

                                                 To:      ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                                                 cc:
                        David Longo              Subject: Re: Help,
                        <David.Longo@HEAL
                        TH-FIRST.ORG>
                        Sent by: "ADSM:
                        Dist Stor
                        Manager"
                        <[email protected]
                        .EDU>

                        04/10/2003 08:29
                        AM
                        Please respond to
                        "ADSM: Dist Stor
                        Manager"

The "Atape" driver is used on AIX for Ultrium drives on SAN with
TSM server, same as it is used for non Ultrium drives.

I have TSM 4.2.2.10 on AIX with 3584 library with 8 FC-AL drives.

David B. Longo
System Administrator
Health First, Inc.
3300 Fiske Blvd.
Rockledge, FL 32955-4305
PH      321.434.5536
Pager  321.634.8230
Fax:    321.434.5509
david.longo AT health-first DOT org

>>> jkaufman AT FOOTLOCKER DOT COM 04/10/03 08:54AM >>>
I think you are correct, you have to use the "IBM device driver" for
Ultrium drives, look at
http://www-3.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBM_TSM_Supported_Devices_for_AIXHPSUNWIN.html

which if you scroll down to the ultrium section (assuming they are IBM
ultrium drives), it states that the IBM device driver is
required...Hope
this helps. Unfortunately I don't have any experience dealing with
Ultrium
Drives in a SAN type environment (ask me again in 2 months :) so...
Just a
thought.

Jonathan Kaufman

Foot Locker Inc.
E-Mail: jkaufman AT footlocker DOT com

                                               To:
ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                                               cc:
                        Jozef Zatko            Subject: Re: Help,
                        <zatko AT LOGIN DOT SK

                        Sent by: "ADSM:
                        Dist Stor
                        Manager"
                        <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MARI
                        ST.EDU>

                        04/10/2003
                        04:33 AM
                        Please respond
                        to "ADSM: Dist
                        Stor Manager"

Hi,
I am not AIX expert, but in my AIX environment I see something
similar.
I think error messages are from TSM device driver, which does not
support
IBM Ultrium devices.
You have to use IBMtape device driver for this devices. The second part
of
your output from lsdev command (devices with state Available) show
that
your IBMtape device driver is working OK. In your TSM definitions use
device names from IBMtape device driver.

If you do not use another SCSI devices, I think you can uninstall TSM
device driver (there are no devices controlled with it).

My 2 cents

Ing. Jozef Zatko
Login a.s.
Dlha 2, Stupava
tel.: (421) (2) 60252618

                    Murthy V
                    Gongala              To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    <[email protected]        cc:
                    BM.COM>              Subject:     Help,
                    Sent by:
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MA
                    RIST.EDU>

                    09.04.2003
                    17:17
                    Please
                    respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

Hi,

I have  TSM 4.2.1 on AIX 5.1, running on a pSeries machine. Recently
installed 2 HBA's(6228) on the server to connect it to SAN.

When i ran the Discover SAN attached devices from smitty i am getting
the
following error.

TSM Define Methods done !!!!
Method error (/etc/methods/cfgtsmdd):
        0514-051 Device to be configured does not match the physical
                 device at the specified connection location.

Method error (/etc/methods/cfgtsmdd):
        0514-051 Device to be configured does not match the physical
                 device at the specified connection location.

Method error (/etc/methods/cfgtsmdd):
        0514-051 Device to be configured does not match the physical
                 device at the specified connection location.

Method error (/etc/methods/cfgtsmdd):
        0514-051 Device to be configured does not match the physical
                 device at the specified connection location.

TSM Config Methods done !!!!
====================== TSM Devices ====================
lb0 Defined 20-58-01 Library/MediumChanger
mt0 Defined 20-58-01 Tape Drive
mt1 Defined 20-58-01 Tape Drive
mt2 Defined 20-58-01 Tape Drive

Output of  lsdev  -Cc tape

smc1  Available 20-58-01      IBM 3583 Library Medium Changer (FCP)
rmt17 Available 20-58-01      IBM 3580 Ultrium Tape Drive (FCP)
rmt18 Available 20-58-01      IBM 3580 Ultrium Tape Drive (FCP)
rmt19 Available 20-58-01      IBM 3580 Ultrium Tape Drive (FCP)
smc2  Available 20-60-01      IBM 3583 Library Medium Changer (FCP)
rmt20 Available 20-60-01      IBM 3580 Ultrium Tape Drive (FCP)
rmt21 Available 20-60-01      IBM 3580 Ultrium Tape Drive (FCP)
rmt22 Available 20-60-01      IBM 3580 Ultrium Tape Drive (FCP)

Could somebody point out what i am missing here.

Thanks in Advance

Murthy

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
 annotations on 04/10/2003 09:31:12 AM

This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain
confidential, proprietary, or legally privileged information.  No
confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.  If
copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it, and notify
the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose,
intended recipient.  Health First reserves the right to monitor all e-mail
communications through its networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in
this message are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where
the message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a particular
entity;  and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such views
or opinions.