ADSM-L

Better passwords in TSM

2003-04-09 19:31:56
Subject: Better passwords in TSM
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 18:30:58 -0500
The state auditors are making us move to stronger passwords. We are
being required to implement the following in all systems, including TSM:

AUDITOR REQUIREMENTS:

1. Stronger passwords, required use of at least one lowercase letter,
uppercase letter, and digit. Minimum length 8 characters.

2. Password changes at least annually, IFF passwords are sent between a
client system and a server system in an encrypted form.

3. If sent in clear text, then password changes monthly with even more
stringent rules.

QUESTIONS:

A. Does the TSM client (all of them: GUI, web, and linemode
backup/archive, and Administrative) send the password to the TSM server
in an encrypted form, or in clear text?

B. Is there a way to enforce password strength rules? How can I tailor
those rules?

C. If not, is there a way to require all TSM clients to use Password
Generate? (The auditors seem to like what Password Generate does.)

D. If a client node has been using Password Generate, why does its
Password Change Date show up as a long time ago. Shouldn't it be the
date of last use, since Password Generate sets a new password with each
use?

E. Is there a way I can tell if a client uses Password Generate?

F. If a client node has been using Password Generate, and I change its
Password Expiration interval to something shorter than it was, which is
shorter than its Last Password Change date, what will happen? Hopefully
nothing at all - Password Generate will simply continue to operate.

G. How secure is Password Generate - really?

H. Is there any way to enforce the auditor's rules for Administrative
Clients?

I'm trying to avoid having all 1,000 clients call me on the telephone on
one day to complain that their passwords are no longer valid, while
still making the auditors happy.

======= Warning: The Surgeon General has found that smoking may ========
======== cause some individuals to ignore the Surgeon General. =========