ADSM-L

Re: 3584 Tape Sharing

2003-04-08 17:45:52
Subject: Re: 3584 Tape Sharing
From: Orville Lantto <orville.lantto AT DATATREND DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 16:45:28 -0500
You have no choice but to partition physically.  From the 5.1.6.3 readme:
* $$5161   LTO Generation 2 Support *

TSM now includes support for the second generation of LTO hardware.  This
support
was introduced at 5.1.6.1 and is supported by any level released later;
however,
any attempt to use LTO2 devices on a lower level than 5.1.6.1 is not
supported.

Capacity:

The new drives have a media capacity of 200GB per cartridge of
uncompressed data
and a media capacity of 400GB per cartridge for compressed data.

Device Class Information:

In order to utilize this new hardware through TSM, keep in mind that this
is still
an LTO device. Thus, when defining a devclass that uses LTO2 drives, use:
        - devtype=LTO
        - format=<DRIVE,ULTRIUM2,ULTRIUM2C>

        NOTE: The ULTRIUM2 format is uncompressed and the ULTRIUM2C format
is
              compressed.

   .-FORMAT--=--DRIVE---------.
>--+--------------------------+--+----------------------+------->
   '-FORMAT--=--+-DRIVE-----+-'  '-ESTCAPacity--=--size-'
                +-ULTRIUM2--+
                '-ULTRIUM2C-'

   .-PREFIX--=--ADSM-------------------.
>--+-----------------------------------+------------------------>
   '-PREFIX--=--+-ADSM---------------+-'
                '-tape_volume_prefix-'

   .-MOUNTRetention--=--60------.  .-MOUNTWait--=--60------.
>--+----------------------------+--+-----------------------+---->
   '-MOUNTRetention--=--minutes-'  '-MOUNTWait--=--minutes-'

   .-MOUNTLimit--=--DRIVES-----.
>--+---------------------------+-------------------------------><
   '-MOUNTLimit--=--+-DRIVES-+-'
                    +-number-+
                    '-0------'

Upgrading from LTO to LTO2 devices:

When migrating from LTO to LTO2 devices, you need to follow one of the set
of
steps below:

  - If you are maintaining both generations simultaneously, LTO gen1 and
LTO
    gen2, then you need to logically partition your library such that the
drives
    of these two generations are disjoint.

  - If you are upgrading all your drives to LTO gen2, then
        1. Delete all your old LTO gen1 drive definitions as well as any
paths
           associated with these old drive definitions.
        2. Define the new LTO2 drives and paths associated with the new
hardware.

    NOTE:  LTO gen2 drives are backwards read compatible as well as
backwards
           write compatible. Therefore, you do NOT need to mark your LTO
gen1
           media as "read only".

Orville L. Lantto
Datatrend Technologies, Inc.  (http://www.datatrend.com)
IBM Premier Business Partner
121 Cheshire Lane, Suite 700
Minnetonka, MN 55305
Email: Orville.Lantto AT datatrend DOT com

and privileged information. Any  unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
message.

"Rushforth, Tim" <TRushforth AT WINNIPEG DOT CA>
04/08/2003 04:16 PM

        To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
        cc:
        Subject:        3584 Tape Sharing

We are running TSM 5.1.6.1 and have a 3584 connected via LVD SCSI (Adaptec
39160 controller) - no SAN.  We are looking at setting up another server
and
are exploring the Sharing possibilities.  We currently have  LTO1 drives
and
are also exploring upgrading/adding LTO2 drives.  I've searched this list,
Red Books and TSM doc and still have some questions.

One option is to partition the 3584 into 2 logical libraries and have a
SCSI
connection from each server to the 3584 to the first drive in the logical
partition.
This would allow us to put LTO1 drives in one partition and LTO2 drives in
the other, each being used by a different server.  Is anyone doing
something
similar - how do you handle tape protection between the two servers (if
same
type of tape in each partition)?

The other option is to use TSM Library Sharing and this is where I have
questions:

TSM Extended Edition has a feature called Library Sharing over LAN (for
libraries that support this function)
- Does the 3584 support this?  Any doc I see seems to say a SAN is
required?

With Library Sharing, can I have a mix of LTO1 and LTO2 drives
(partitioned
into two logical libraries becasue I am at 5.1) and share these 2 logical
libraries?

Thanks,

Tim Rushforth
City of Winnipeg