ADSM-L

AW: TSM on Mainframe

2003-04-08 16:39:20
Subject: AW: TSM on Mainframe
From: "Kraan, Helge van de" <Helge.vandeKraan AT VOLKSWAGEN DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 22:32:47 +0200
We do and are happy with the black box (not ever with tsm).
In time we have 7 TSM server at z/OS 1.2 and backup 2800 Clients.
In ten hours this clients sent 6 tera bytes to the tsm server at the
mainframe.

we have only 6 ipl´s in a year for the mainframes in the downtime where all
opensystem system don´t work too
so that we don´t have Joe's problem. the open systems have more downtimes.

in time we have some tsm-server at w2k and hp too for lan-free backup. and i
can say we are very happy that
we have the mainframe and the tsm-server on it. so many problems that we see
with opensystem, i have never seen
before.

look for tsm 5.2 when you need information over tsm/san/mainframe.

yes we have guys for tcpip and tapemanagment and so on, but they are not
working only for tsm ... and they know
what they do and i can talk with them, because they are menschen,
mainframers are no zombies

by the cost i see no differents between mainframe disk and opensystem
disk(emc,hitachi,ibm,stk), mainframe tape and
opensystem tape (stk,ibm) (o.k. no lto ... for mainframe).
yes by the cost per cpu, but when you have a large online system, than have
you enough for the backup in
the night. when you need cpu in the onlinetime then it can be expensive,
because by the licingmodel at the mainframe you
must pay for ibm,ca,bmc,compuware ...

in time i see the problem that we get no more young guys with mainframe know
how.

when you have no mainframe then use unix. when you have no free cpu at the
mainframe in the night then use unix.
when you have enough cpu ...

Helge van de Kraan
Volkswagen AG