ADSM-L

Re: Server upgrade hung

2003-04-08 14:44:02
Subject: Re: Server upgrade hung
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 14:43:29 -0400
> The server won't stop until the running process completes. Use an mvs cancel
> command if you want the server down.

That was what we ended up doing. We subsequently ran a batch job to
update IDL definitions for the Web interface and then brought up the
server without the /upgradedb parameter. The server behaved normally
in both cases. When IBM finally responded to our severity 1 call they
had nothing to offer except the suggestion that we should have taken
a memory dump before cancelling.

We are still seeing the same performance bug that we had under 4.2.3.2.
Server performance gradually degrades. When the server approaches
complete immobility Omegamon shows it spending nearly all of its time
doing getmain and freemain operations, even though 'show memu SHORT'
reports Freeheld well below MaxQuickFree. We have to recycle the
server two or three times per day.

As far as our site is concerned, all the talk about the most stable
server release in years is just talk.