ADSM-L

Re: TSM 5.2 Announced

2003-04-08 12:44:28
Subject: Re: TSM 5.2 Announced
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 09:43:37 -0700
I wrote that statement, and I can assure you that my intent was neither to
annoy, nor to imply anything that wasn't true. I apologize if that is how
it came across, but please don't try to read anything more into it than
what is there: tracing has been in the product since V1, and it is an
invaluable tool in servicing the product. And while it is intended for use
only at the direction of IBM service or development. the enhancements are
intended to help facilitate the gathering and diagnosis of traces, which
at least indirectly helps customers. For example, if you've ever had to
send 20 GB traces to IBM, you'll appreciate the trace file spanning
feature. For another, if you've ever had a Windows client crash, then had
to recreate it in order to gather a Dr. Watson log and/or dump, you'll
appreciate the enhancements made to the Windows client in this regard.

Starting with 5.2, serviceability is a significant theme, so this is why
it is making it into the announcements. In the future, we will try to word
things more clearly to indicate if an item is not intended for direct
customer consumption.

We are looking at what we can do to provide more "self help" features in
the product, although I can't give any specifics. In the mean time, if
there are specific items that you are looking for, by all means, open up a
requirement through your IBM representative. That is the best way to get
the appropriate attention for what you need.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group
Internet e-mail: storman AT us.eyebm DOT com (change eye to i to reply)

The command line is your friend.

Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
04/08/2003 08:25