ADSM-L

Re: Convert Archive

2003-04-08 02:42:57
Subject: Re: Convert Archive
From: "Stumpf, Joachim" <joachim.stumpf AT DATEV DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 06:42:25 -0000
Hi Tim,

search the archives at http://search.adsm.org for "+convert +archive"
This question was already asked a few times ;-)

Here is what I found related to your question:
http://msgs.adsm.org/cgi-bin/get/adsm0112/620.html

--
regards / Mit freundlichen Gruessen
Joachim Stumpf

------------- Original-Nachricht folgt -------------

The first time that you use the GUI to do an archvie on a new client (5.1.1)
message ANS5184W is displayed: "The Server needs to do a one-time conversion
of your archive data before you can continue.  This operation may take a
long time, and cannot be canceled once it has started.  Are you willing to
wait for the conversion to complete"

If you respond No you can't do the archive, if you respond Yes the Convert
Archive process starts on the server (and for a new node finishes in 1
second).

If you never enter the GUI and multiple scheduled archives are done for the
node, the first time you use the GUI to do a retrieve the Convert Archvie
process is automatically started on the server and can take a long period of
time depending on how many files have been archived.  The client basically
just appears hung waiting for this process to end.

Is there anyway to automatically have archives converted for new clients?

What does this conversion do?

Would I not want to do a conversion for any reason?

Is the convert only required for the GUI?

Thanks,

Tim Rushforth
City of Winnipeg