ADSM-L

Re: TSM on Mainframe

2003-04-04 15:51:04
Subject: Re: TSM on Mainframe
From: Shannon Bach <SBach AT MGE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 14:51:52 -0600
And the days of IPL'ing frequently are long gone for us.  We seldom  IPL
and then it only for an hour or so.  TSM just takes right up where it left
off.

Shannon Bach
Madison Gas & Electric Co.
Operations Analyst - Data Center Services
Office 608-252-7260
Fax 608-252-7098
e-mail sbach AT mge DOT com

                      "Brian L. Nick"
                      <BRIAN.NICK@PHOEN        To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      IXWM.COM>                cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:  Re: TSM on Mainframe
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      04/04/2003 06:28
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

Not exactly. We are currently running TSM 4.2.1.9 on a 9672-R44 running
OS/390 2.10 and we have been doing an evaluation on moving TSM from OS/390
on to AIX. While the cost of the AIX hardware is relatively cheap we still
need to incur DASD costs in the form of SAN and Tape costs, not to mention
the need to develop cron jobs on AIX to handle tape processing , on OS/390
you do not have to define volumes, drives or the library to TSM. Also we
found that the licensing costs of TSM itself on AIX were actually higher
than the mainframe costs. Granted we are tied into tape media (STK 9840)
and our management is not looking to replace that media but even if we did
the cost is still slightly higher for us on AIX.

Brian L. Nick
Systems Technician - Storage Solutions
The Phoenix Companies Inc.
100 Bright Meadow Blvd
Enfield CT. 06082-1900

E-MAIL:  Brian.Nick AT phoenixwm DOT com
PHONE:   (860)403-2281

                   "Wholey, Joseph
                   (IDS DM&DS)"           To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                   <JWholey@EXCHAN        cc:
                   GE.ML.COM>             Subject:     Re: TSM on Mainframe
                   Sent by: "ADSM:
                   Dist Stor
                   Manager"
                   <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MARI
                   ST.EDU>

                   04/03/03 03:10
                   PM
                   Please respond
                   to "ADSM: Dist
                   Stor Manager"

Bad... total cost of ownership is too high.  Too many fingers in the pie
(tape group, dasd group, TCPIP group, operations etc...  When you begin to
figure out total cost of ownership, you have to add
all of these support teams into the equation, not to mention the internal
charge (funny money) for MIPS usage on the mainframe that you'll incur. TSM
will also be at the mercy of the mainframe IPL
schedule as well, which typically is on Saturday night into Sunday morning
(a window that you really want open for your large archives or db backups)

If you're on any other platform, your costs should drop significantly.
e.g.  If you have a P690, you have 1 SA managing that server.  You don't
need nearly the staff that you'd require for a
mainframe solution.  How often does an AIX or Sun machine have to be taken
down for maintenance? (not often).  And finally, a P690's I/O is comparable
to a mainframes.

If you get the budget, go with a big Unix system.  Run screaming from the
mainframe solution.  You'll save a lot of headaches and meetings.  Just my
opinion.

Regards, Joe