ADSM-L

Re: Backup a new server with an old node name.

2003-04-02 22:12:14
Subject: Re: Backup a new server with an old node name.
From: Shannon Bach <SBach AT MGE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 20:57:33 -0600
I had the same problem not to long ago.  I found the solution by looking in
the list.

Tom Kauffman wrote;

 It's unicode, and you have to indicate that on the delete (stupid software!)

 Delete filespace itgc2ashare \\itcf2ashare\c$ nametype=unicode

 The implication on the 'help delete filespace' is that nametype is not
 required -- but I had the same problem and that was my work-around.

 Tom Kauffman
 NIBCO, Inc

what I did was

TSM>help q filespace     ---->for the exact syntax for the 'nametype='

when I finally saw the file that had not deleted so I did;

TSM>help delete filespace        ---->for the exact syntax for the
'nametype='

What worked for me was ---->  delete filespace <nodename> <filename>
nametype=fsid

I know others have used ---->  delete filespace <nodename> <filename>
nametype=unicode  with success

Hope this helps!
Shannon

Madison Gas & Electric Co.
Operations Analyst - Data Center Services
Office 608-252-7260
Fax 608-252-7098
e-mail sbach AT mge DOT com

                      admin AT CF2TREE DOT COM
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      Dist Stor                cc:
                      Manager"                 Subject:  Backup a new server
with an old node name.
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      04/02/2003 04:08
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

Hi,

TSM 5.1.6.2 running on AIX 5.1

I retired a server several months ago and now I wanted to use the same name
for
a new server to be backed up by TSM.  I generated a backupset for that
server
and then deleted all the filespace of this old server.  When I tried to
do 'remove node oldserver', it complaint objects still exist on it.  I
guessed
I can 'del volh ' to delete that backupset tape.  Unfortunately, I checkout
that tape from the library because I was going to store it.  When I 'check
it
in', now TSM saying that backupset tape is not available for deletion even
though it is now inside the tape library.  How do I update the TSM so it
knows
that this tape is a backupset tape and now can be deleted from the volume
history?

TIA