ADSM-L

Re: Sum of inactive versions

2003-04-02 19:32:53
Subject: Re: Sum of inactive versions
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 10:02:15 +1000
For a definitive answer,

would it be possible to restore the TSM database on a test server?  Then change
your retentions, run expiry then audit occ.  After that, Q occ should give you
the numbers you seek.

Regards

Steve Harris
AIX and TSM Admin
Queensland Health, Brisbane Australia

>>> bbullock AT MICRON DOT COM 03/04/2003 2:59:36 >>>
        Folks,
        Management would like to know what kind of impact we would have on the
volume of data we have stored in TSM if we were to lower the retention periods.
They are expecting something like "if we lower the 'retain only version' from
180days to 60 days we will free up X GB of tapes and X GB of database space."
Unfortunately no "what if" tools exist, so I have to build one to accomplish
this.

        Anybody gone through this exercise? Have any good queries they'd like
to share?

        It looks like I can get a count of all the objects from the BACKUPS
table, but then equating that to volume of data is going to take another table,
although I don't see how to get that at this point.

        To take the first whack at this and get a ballpark figure, I thought
I'd at least get a count of all the inactive objects in the database. You think
I should count DIRs and FILEs or just FILES?

 This simple query is not working because I'm not getting the state correct.
Anybody know what an ENUMERATED(BACKUPSTATE); value should be? I tried 0 and 1
and that wasn't it. I've tried various quotes and values, but can't seem to get
it.

TSMSERV1A>select * from backups where node_name like 'TSMHOST6' and
filespace_name like '/export/home' and state like INACTIVE_VERSION
ANR2921E The SQL data type of expression 'STATE' is ENUMERATED(BACKUPSTATE);
expecting a character string expression.

         ....................................V..........................
         espace_name like '/export/home' and state like INACTIVE_VERSION

        Anybody with more SQL experience want to help?

Thanks,
Ben Bullock
Unix Admin
Micron Technology Inc.
Boise ID

This e-mail, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential
and for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). This confidentiality
is not waived or lost if you receive it and you are not the intended
recipient(s), or if it is transmitted/ received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review
of this e-mail is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of
confidentiality if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this
e-mail in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by
telephone or by return e-mail.  You should also delete this e-mail
message and destroy any hard copies produced.