ADSM-L

NEED HELP - Restore Options - BACKUPSET

2003-04-02 14:57:37
Subject: NEED HELP - Restore Options - BACKUPSET
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 14:57:31 -0500
First, thanks to everyone for their suggestions/help with my previous
question of improving restore performance.

Unfortunately, even with all suggestions taken into account, and hoping
everything works, there are still too many wildcards that could effect the
process.

At the current restore speed, it would last sometime into May (somewhat
joking but having only moved 17 GIG (from the servers perspective,
compressed) out of an occupancy of over 450GB (forgot about the other
filesystem) in about 30-hours, this will take way too long).

So, we are looking into alternatives, that being GENERATE BACKUPSET. Our
idea is to generate the backup set and then move it down (FTP) to the AIX
system (the tape drives are zOS based/attached since the TSM server is on
zOS) and then run the restore from there.

This would release the zOS TSM server from this long, long task, and
hopefully speed things up. Especially since our zOS person wants to IPL
the zOS system for the time change this weekend !!!

Give enough tapes and disk space, can this be done ?  Is the backupset
generated by the 4.2.3.2 zOS TSM server, going to 3590 tapes, acceptable
to the AIX TSM client ?  What would we need to know/do to transfer the
data off these tapes to the AIX system disk ?

I am open for all suggestions !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!