ADSM-L

Re: Sum of inactive versions

2003-04-02 14:20:12
Subject: Re: Sum of inactive versions
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 14:19:36 -0500
As stated previously, TSM will not give you the original file size OR the
real size after compression on the back end.  So all you can look at is file
counts.

Another possible approach to the file counts is sampling

When I had to do this, I actually pulled ALL the entries from the backup
table for a just a handful of clients in categories that we considered
"typical", and used a SAS program to read and count them.

>From that we extrapolated the results over the entire population of clients.

That approach only works if you can group your clients into categories of
"similar" machines.

But, give the size of my data base and the fact that a query against the
whole backups table without using the index will NEVER complete, it's the
best I could come up with!