ADSM-L

Re: problem with backup stgpool and maxprocess=2

2003-04-01 21:45:13
Subject: Re: problem with backup stgpool and maxprocess=2
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 11:57:31 +1000
If you use migproc=2 when you dump your diskpool then that will write two two
tapes, which will then get used in parallel by backup stg.

Steve.

At 10:28 AM -0500 4/1/03, John C Dury wrote:
>When I changed MAXPROCESS=2, it kicked off 2 "Backup Storage Pool"
>processes which is what I expected but on the secondary system, the 2
>sessions are both asking for the same volume to be mounted so only one is
>actually writing data and the other is just waiting for the tape from the
>active process.

I had the same problem, and reported it to TSM support.  Their answer
was basically "That's just the way it works".

>Obviously this isn't going to help get the data from my
>production system to my backup system any faster.

I think it does help some.  My understanding (which could be wrong)
is that mostly you get lucky and it mounts two input tapes and two
output tapes, but occasionally you get both processes trying to read
the same input tape.
--

Matt Simpson --  OS/390 Support
219 McVey Hall  -- (859) 257-2900 x300

This e-mail, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential
and for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). This confidentiality
is not waived or lost if you receive it and you are not the intended
recipient(s), or if it is transmitted/ received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review
of this e-mail is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of
confidentiality if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this
e-mail in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by
telephone or by return e-mail.  You should also delete this e-mail
message and destroy any hard copies produced.